Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wednesday Nights


Every other Wednesday night with out fail, I am left husband less.
I am okay with this.
Behind this great firefighter is a very dedicated woman.
My darling goes off to his meetings at the fire hall.
These are the nights they train on their equipment, review how calls went and discuss ways to improve their abilities as firefighters.
Our fire station works on a pager system, this is not Mark's full time job, he is a "volunteer"
firefighter.


So this little machine is on Mark's side at all times or in its charge pod in our bedroom.
It goes off anytime day or night no matter what time it is.
There are nights I have slept right through the calls and there are calls I have waited through and prayed for my husband's and  his "brother's" safety during some especially dangerous situations.
Mark will tell me of some of the particulars but I also know he doesn't tell me everything because I might worry too much. He knows what I can and cannot handle.
There are many occasions that have come and gone that Mark has missed because of his dedication.
I give him much credit, but also to us as a family to give up a daddy and a husband at a moments notice, usually during a birthday party or some special occasion.
( Don't ask Jillianne about her Kindergarten graduation, that one was a tough one :(
well she seems to be okay with it now.)

When I go to the hall I am amazed at all the equipment in which Mark works with and that he also trains other firefighters how to use them as well.
He has been a firefighter for almost ten years.
Earlier this year he was promoted to acting captain, which means when a regular captain is gone, he replaces them.
More responsibility at calls and much more pressure, but he handles it so well and he gets to wear a red helmet instead of a yellow one!

















To say that I am proud of this man would be a serious under statement.


A few years back at our wive's appreciation dinner, they presented us an angel pin with a fire helmet on it and beautiful poem. ( I'm not sure who penned this)


A Firefighter's Wife

A special kind of woman, a cut above the rest
That's a Firefighter's Wife
rating her among the best.
How many goodbyes are shouted, with out a fond embrace,
As duty steals her man, for the danger he must face.
How many meals are ruined or tender moments disturbed,
By the wail of a distant signal, sparking loyalty unswerved.
It's a devil of a job, for an angel like this,
Who... for the love of her man, must forsake that kiss.
She's a mother, lover, chauffeur and nurse,
A living symbol of: " For better or for worse."
Rich is the man, reaping his reward in life, 
Who chooses to be the other half
Of a Firefighter's Wife. 


Until next time,  Joceline



No comments:

Post a Comment