Friday, May 27, 2011

The Bathroom


Seriously a post about our bathroom?
Mark and I worked so hard on this particular room I had to share it with you.
The transformation is quite remarkable.

It started one day when Mark and I were talking about replacing the tub surround because it had actually been painted? and we didn't care for the paint flaking into our children's bath water.
Lucky for me Mark was on afternoons that very same day so I thought I'd do us a favour and go ahead and get tub surround ripped off and surprise him when he got home that night. Also this would be a great motivator for us to get it done since we couldn't shower without it.
When it comes to home repair projects I would like them done yesterday.
Unfortunately my plans to do good don't always work.
I got the tub surround off but I had not planned for the taps which were alot bigger than the holes where the pipes ran threw and I couldn't cut the plastic, so I had to reveal a semi-surprise for Mark and let him finish the rest.
He is such a sweet man he didn't even get upset when he walked in the door around 1:00 in the morning to find the tub/shower in such ruins.
The happy ending isn't coming yet, wait just wait.
While putting the new tub surround the taps had to be removed and well they were pretty old and they never stopped leaking when we put them back on. I measured and it was leaking about a bucket of water a day.
Not good. So new taps came next.
Well the new tub surround and new taps made the rust on the tub look more prominent, so we talked about a new tub.
No, I didn't rip out the old tub while Mark was at work!, but a new tub got me thinking.
If we were replacing it why not go real authentic with a claw foot tub?
That would look way more original in our 1920's house.
My mind was reeling with ideas.
Out came out my Victoria magazines, if we were going to do this I wanted to get it "right."
Had we of know how much work it was going to be, I think we may have stayed with old rusty and kept him as part of our family.
It took us over 3 month to re-do the bathroom. Just as the project got under way Mark started working a bunch of overtime and since we were going all out, the extra money was coming in handy.
I tried not to complain.
We were able to spend alot of time at my mom's since that's where we were showering and bathing the children.
We demolished the old walls, replaced it with all new drywall.
Re-did the floors.  There was carpet ? in the bathroom really? carpet!
New tiles, new claw foot tub (yippee!), new sink, new toilet. The works
We even ripped out a huge cabinet section in there, giving up the extra storage space for the end result was so worth it.

I wish I had a before picture for you. We re-did the bathroom before the digital age, and a scanned picture wouldn't show the sheer ugliness of before, but I do have plenty of afters!















Sorry about the plunger, I'm just keeping it real!








What is completely amazing about this entire project is that Mark had never done any plumbing before.
It has been over 6 years since we re-did the bathroom and nothing leaks. That's pretty cool.
 So in a way my plan did work out, Mark may have never discovered this hidden talent had it not been for me ripping down the tub surround.
See, Happy ending.
 Your welcome Honey;)

Until next time,  Joceline


No comments:

Post a Comment