Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Living Room

When Mark and I started house hunting over 10 years ago, we really started talking about what styles we both enjoyed.  We were very fortunate because we both really liked "Victorian" or old fashion
lets say.  We found our house, it was built in 1920 and had lots of old feel to it.The previous owners
had tried to modernize it but we quickly saw past that and wanted to bring it back to its original beauty.   ( according to us; )
The living room was my least favorite room. It had been painted a deep cherry and at night gave the appearance of a blood red. Kind of scared me a little.
This was the first room we set to work on so I would actually want to come home.
( I didn't like being here by myself, it was spooky)
It took two coats of primer and two coats of the cream colour we had chosen to cover the walls.
What a difference!
The room became so inviting to me and I looked forward to filling it with our details.








This little trunk has sentimental value to me. It was part of a Mother's day gift to me some years back. It was a gift to delight my five senses. All put together by Sweetheart.
The box was for touch.
Some chocolate for taste.
Perfume for scent.
Wind chimes for hearing.
All wrapped up in cellophane and ribbon which truly delighted my sight.
So when I see this little trunk by the fireplace, I am reminded I am loved.








This piano was built in the late 1800's. It actually belong to Mark's great Aunt and was passed down to Mark's mom.  She worked really hard to refinished it in a mahogany stain quite a few years back and what is kind of funny is that this was not the colour of her family room furnishings at the time. She must have foreseen that it would be a perfect addition to our home. This is also the very same piano that Mark learned on as a child.
Even though there are a few keys that play out of tune,  when he sits down to play it, it comes alive.
He plays this piano with such passion, it is amazing. 














This is my favorite piece in the living room.




A basket full of blankets, which makes this a great room for snuggling.
I think that's my favorite part!

Until next time,  Joceline





No comments:

Post a Comment